Food Security

John and I went to the garden show today, and were inspired. After seeing all the destruction in Japan, we were motivated! Food security is an issue we all need to become involved in. We can’t sit back and expect someone else (ie. the government) to take care of our food needs in times of disaster. Preparedness is more than something we choose to do, it is something we must do.

At our home we are planning some major garden renovations. Especially after listening to Carolyn Herriot speak on growing food in her 2.5 acre garden (Zero Mile Diet). John ordered mushroom starts last week, we’ve chosen a location for a greenhouse and to save all of the garden from scratching chickens, and our marauding, dirt digging dog we are erecting a fence around the blueberries and raspberries. Along the fence we’ll be planting fruit trees.

Unfortunately, to add this to our garden, one of our big cedar trees will have to come down, as will one of the firs. This will provide a few more hours of sun to the sideyard. We feel saddened to have to cut down a tree but on a 1/2 acre lot surrounded by huge behemoths we have to make some hard decisions.

We also plan on increasing the size of our deck this year to accomodate my bean and tomato heaven. It’s the only place in the yard that gets lots of sun.

The earthquake in Japan has fueled us to get more serious about food security. Vancouver Island produces only 5% of its food and gets the other 95% from sources, that if disaster struck, may be stuck on the other side of the strait.

Growing food doesn’t have to be on a work intensive large scale. It can be as simple as planting a few beans in a pot or having herbs on your windowsill. The important lesson John and I are learning is that food security starts at home, in our own backyard and grows from our committment to sustainable living on Vancouver Island.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Food Security

  1. I admit it I am a tree hugger. Before cutting those
    blessed trees down, consider limbing if that’s isn’t a
    possibility consider leasing a plot in a community garden.

    • I too am a tree hugger. It’s taken me 15 years to finally say it’s coming down. We’ve had it spiral cut and trimmed twice. If there was a community garden near by I would say whooya, unfortunately, I’d have to drive to one and it would defeat the purpose. Know Judith that the decision is not one made lightly. Our yard is .5 acres and has 10 large old trees on it. We are making sure the outer ones stay and whatever we take down will be replanted with a mulberry, apple and pear.
      Two years ago I went to a lecture by a Dr. Heber (sp?) from the Victoria Museum. He said that with climate change our cedars are doomed. I asked him about ours and he said to take down the smaller ones and leave the older ones as they may survive, especially if they have deep roots and a good water supply. We are leaving the two larger ones for these reasons.
      Thank you for sharing your love for my tree. When the fruit trees are bearing and the blueberries are ripe come on over for a feed.
      Beth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s